71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Indigo King (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica) - James A. Owen A strong continuation of the unique fantasy series that begins with Here, There Be Dragons. Interestingly what makes this series unique is the features which are not unique. Yes this series has pretty much a combination of all kinds of mythic, fairytale and fantasy characters from Peter Pan to Captain Nemo or even characters who are real like Jules Verne. The uniqueness of the series is however how the author blends these various ideas together to create a singular story within each book. It could be very easy for him to simply throw a variety of fantasy ideas together, attract a reader by the idea of what his book is and then conclude in a highly unsatisfactory way. However James A. Owen is able to take his unique ideas and create a convoluted story that concludes by the end of the book and proves satisfactory.

Like the previous two books The Indigo King takes time to tell a story that focuses around the Arthurian legend while also incorporating fairytale and sort of fictional characters into the plot. James A. Owen suggests that the fictional places in his book are behind the creation of the fictional characters in works such as The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia,Peter Pan andTwenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.
Unlike the other two stories this novel spends much of its time focused around incorporating a popular science fiction element into its fantasy world: that of time travel and alternate dimensions. Because due to one character's blunder in the past the future becomes transformed and our protagonists are forced to travel back into the past themselves to both find him and fix the mess he created.

While the story is a stand alone novel there are many plot elements which tie into the previous two books so I would recommend if this novel sounds intriguing that you begin at the start. I do highly recommend this series, although I view the first and second novels as the better imaginative works. However I still found this an intriguing addition to what is a fine series and one which I recommend for all lovers of mythology, fantasy, fairytale and legend.