74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

New Spring - Robert Jordan, Chuck Dixon, Mike S. Miller, Harvey Tolibao The graphic novel edition of New Spring was beautifully and masterfully done. As a recent (3 years) fan of Robert Jordan's work with the entire series of the Wheel of Time New Spring as a novel on its own stands as one of my least favourite works in the series. It lacks for me the epic nature of the other novels even though it provides a little interesting background information.

I think I liked the graphic novel version far more than the text version. Which is of course a rarity to me. I generally prefer to be able to imagine a world for myself. To understand how the wastelands, deserts and cities would exist in their full richness. I do like to be able to see visually however whether my imagination compares to the author's. Because in the case of this graphic novel Robert Jordan did have a crucial role in making sure the novel appeared as he had envisioned it. And while I may have imagined a few aspects differently my version will remain my own and this simply helped me to appreciate the storyline of New Spring to greater effect.

I still recommend anyone wanting to start the epic and incredibly long Wheel of Time series begins with The Eye of the World. While I do not enjoy it as much as I enjoy the second to sixth books it is a decent entry into Jordan's imagined world. However I do recommend that if you find the first a little unimpressive that you move onto and try the second before completely giving up on the series. I myself found the second novel was better than the first which for me is a rarity in fantasy in general.

I intend to do a reread of the full series this year to prepare for the final book and refresh my mind. And maybe just so I can keep track of where my friend who is reading them for the first time is going. I kind of hooked him onto the series but I have no apologies for how he's loving it.