73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Factotum - D.M. Cornish I really fully enjoyed the entire Foundling's Tale trilogy immensely. Kicking off with Monster Blood Tattoo and Lamplighter which were all four star books the series ends with a book better than the other two in my opinion. The positive aspects of the earlier books were still present and were in my opinion enhanced by even finer storytelling. The writing was superb for YA fiction certainly - it had depth and was also emotionally endearing. You could feel for and understand the characters. This is definitely the way a trilogy should conclude: leaving its readers wanting more of its world.

Rossamünd Bookchild is a highly sympathetic protagonist. I really could associate with the idea of him being a child in the world of monsters and men created by D. M. Cornish. This is a world that is half-familiar, like reading a dream about our present reality. A dream set in a world reminiscent of Victorian London yet a Victorian London with monsters and a sea of acid covering most of the world.

Each book had wonderful images, each book had wonderful characters. Europe is perhaps my favourite apart from Rossamünd. I will say nothing about her other than that she has unique abilities and knows how to fight the nickers and boggles she faces.

I won't tell you what happens to Rossamünd but I will say that some interesting revelations are made about him in this book which tie everything together. I would love to read more novels from D.M Cornish but it seems I will have to wait in the meantime and content myself with other authors. This was a fascinating series that had an enthralling world and I shall miss it for the meantime. Hopefully one day we can all return to its intriguing depths.