73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Sending - Isobelle Carmody I fully enjoyed this addition to the Obernewtyn series. I was a little apprehensive about the trend I observed in the previous novel and the fact that fans of the series raved about this book being nothing more than a filler to bridge the gap till the concluding volume. However I believe this book has merit on its own.

The novel continues the adventures of Elspeth Gordie as she sets off to finally destroy the machine named Sentinel and destroy the weapons of the Beforetimers. Turns out that we as humans gave control of our nuclear weapons to one machine. While Elspeth is no Terminator or saviour in the manner of John Connor she does have some unique powers of her own, which I saw develop in interesting ways in this novel.

As mentioned before I appreciate this series for the protagonist and the way you read the emotional state of Elspeth from her point of view. I love the other characters and the different power sets of those characters. It may read a little like the X-Men but at the same time this is a unique science-fantasy novel. I say science-fantasy because it is a little mixture of both genres with technology and magical abilities intertwining. Perhaps a more accurate tag would be that this is a paranormal science-fiction series.

I recommend that anyone into post-apocalyptic novels, YA novels and quest stories take time to read this series. Unless you would rather wait for the final novel to be released and then read this. Either way I think it will be worth your time if you start reading the Obernewtyn books. I have read many fantasy, sci-fi and YA novels and these rank highly in any regard for me.