71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

A Woman of No Importance - Oscar Wilde This is Wilde at his best. A firmly plotted satirical drama designed as a social commentary and full of absolutely stunningly witty lines.

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy."
"No man does. That is his."

If I've learnt one thing from this play I think it can suffice to say that I should never go to Oscar Wilde for 'pick-up lines.' For much of the clever banter in his play could prove offensive if taken in the wrong context. And the advice of trying to kiss a puritan lady and then falling in love with her if she slaps you with a glove doesn't bode well for today's company.

This is humour how I like it. Quick retorts and words that have been moulded and played with. You can almost sense how Wilde delights in playing with the words of his characters, making them dance for your - and for his - amusement.

Like Lady Windermere's Fan there is much that Wilde comments about in society. However he does it all with his tongue firmly in his cheek. I have to wonder if he was playing his own practical joke upon his society with each new play he penned.

In the end this is a play that can be read as easily as it can be imagined on a stage. That is the power of Wilde's charming wit and ability with words. So I encourage that you read this if you have not attempted any of Wilde's fanciful plays as of today.