74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick, Robert Zelazny Normally I would never go and say the following words. Look away if you are a dedicated bibliophile (like myself) because I am about to say something very taboo. In fact I shall hide it under a spoiler tag because I can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you still reading? Well then you cannot say I didn't warn you. This revelation may spoil the idea of this book or your view of me. But:

THE FILM WAS BETTER THAN THE BOOK!

Shock and horror for all you dedicated to loving books above films

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally hold the opinion that while P. K. Dick's work is still a fine and highly interesting one the idea which Ridley Scott explored in Blade Runner was a far more interesting work of fiction. I mean does Do Androids... have a director's cut and a cinema viewers cut? I don't think so.

But realistically for me the reason I like Blade Runner more is that P. K. Dick gets caught up in some metaphysical mystical mumbo-jumbo in his work. I've nothing against philosophical discourse (actually I love it - it's why I appreciate Frankenstein and Paradise Lost - and why I write many of my short stories the way I do) but something about the way the author has approached it here does not work for me. Perhaps I felt it was too new age? Or maybe the idea of android/human relations felt too weird? Whatever it was the sense I recieved from this was: good premise, good idea, the film executed the idea better.

After all it is only in the film that such a classic line as:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Still worth reading and perhaps in the future I'll read it again and form another opinion.