Five reasons to read Pride and Prejudice
1. The detail of Austen's writing which drags the reader almost into her time period. Sure it can be long and slow at times but it creates a glimpse into a previous era which was more pure and innocent in many aspects.
2. The wit of Austen's writing. An aspect many readers could easily miss if they don't delve into the beauty of the prose.
3. The characters created are incredibly memorable. Who could forget Mr Darcy or Elizabeth Bennett? They are not only memorable but likeable in their own ways too.
4. The background story behind Austen writing in a time when women writing was frowned upon. A story that showed self-belief and motivation despite being trodden down by society. I respect her for that alone to come out and write powerful stories like this.
5. It's a novel that helps you to escape and enjoy yourself and that makes this valuable as a work of fiction. For too often people forget that books are not real and should help us escape.