73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Inheritance - Christopher Paolini I read this while on the cruise and I expected it to be in a similar vein to Brisingr. I expected a stronger novel than either Eragon or Eldest. A novel that was well written and entertaining for its entirety but maybe closed off everything weakly or proved that Paolini was simply a writer who copies his ideas from other sources. I was pleasantly surprised to find the contrary.

Inheritance was an excellent conclusion to Paolini's series. And where Eragon and Eldest were weak Inheritance was certainly much stronger and well devised. I became unsure at the start when Paolini introduced what appeared to be an element of deus ex machina never mentioned in the other books how the book would continue but from that point on I was in for an astounding journey.

This was one of the most enjoyable books I've read all year. Perhaps not the best written novel but one of the most entertaining. I was enthralled and raced through the 800 pages in under two and a half days despite being aboard a cruise ship loaded with things to do. The island of Vroengard was fascinating, the new spells, the defeat of Galbatorix, the Vault of Souls and all the other plot elements easily made this the best in the series.

I hope Paolini continues to develop as a writer and creates more worlds in the future. This novel showed me that he does have the potential to step outside other writer's works and create his own story. I hope he does that. Still the world of Alagaesia was fascinating to me and this wrapped many things up nicely. Yet there are still many loose ends that I hope to see addressed in a future novel. For instance: what happens to Arya and Eragon? What happens to the dragon riders? Who were the girl and woman Angela told a fortune for? What was with the seven words Brom told Eragon when he died? Who are the werecats really? What was with the god in Brisingr? And what did the Menoa tree take from Eragon?