74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Jane Eyre - Ruben Toledo, Charlotte Brontë This edition of Jane Eyre had the best cover of a classic I've seen in ages. Of course that's rather a superficial reason to claim to like a book and is not linked in any way to the real reasons I like this book.

I loved this book because of its story and the underlying themes. The basic themes which addressed morality, repentance, forgiveness and in many ways also sacrifice. This was no romance based upon a one night love affair but rather a truer romance based upon proper attraction. The very ending of the book proved the truth of such love in effect.

To me Edward Rochester was the epitome of a man hiding his sin behind a mask of righteousness. Externally everything was perfect. He was rich and he had the love of society. However internally he was hiding his demons literally. His immorality in essence was concealed but once revealed it caused such hurt in Jane that she had to leave. Yet in the end once Edward has paid the price for his action her love compels her to return to him and over time they form a strong family.

If you liked Pride and Prejudice read this. If you were put off by Wuthering Heights read this instead. Charlotte's prose is far superior to her sister and the story far more beautiful. If you like classics or romance this is a story for you.