74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - John le Carré Finally after a long struggle I have completed this novel. Of course I must admit that I was reading other books on the side, writing a drama and pursuing university, sporting interests, video games, films and socialising. In other words putting my week-long break to good purpose.

This is a highly unusual novel as far as espionage novels are concerned. This is no James Bond novel with a fast flashy secret agent. But rather it focuses on a middle-aged George Smiley as he spies on the spies. And becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue.

It's not a fast novel. In fact it is slow and meticulous and full of beautifully succinct prose. Le Carre wastes no words in his writing even if he does use some powerful flowery words at time. In short his prose is tight and full of depth.

This is not for the casual reader who wants a fast read full of action. In fact I doubt you can even properly consider this as an action novel though it is a thriller. Moreover it is a psychological thriller if nothing else.

I highly recommend this as a work of fiction. Le Carre has created a great novel and work of fiction full of depth, at times simple and at others extravagant prose and overall intrigue and mystery. It is a novel that will leave you guessing until the end and well worthy of being considered a great spy novel.