73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde The Importance of Being Earnest deserves its spot on any classics shelf as both an example of Oscar Wilde at his wittiest and as a purely grand play. As with all great plays there are many brilliant and highly quotable lines, incredible characters and while developed for the stage it is also highly readable.

I have little else to say about this work only that I find it brilliantly devised and struggle to think how Oscar Wilde could have come up with this the way he did. Its not flawless - but no work is - but it stands out as a very cleverly constructed work of fiction. And the way all the plot elements come together at the end is something to behold.

So read or watch this work and be amazed at the genius of Oscar Wilde. He truly is and was the king of the socially critical play and master of witticism.