71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide, #2) - Douglas Adams This was a most excellent second novel in what is a weird and intriguing series. I don't know how many fans who are not into sci-fi enjoy this series but I do know it is a must read if you appreciate sci-fi and humour.

Douglas Adams has this way of using Deus ex Machina to produce profound humorous effects. It makes his work rather bizarre and zany but it is all the more endearing for that. Because without all the quirky, silly comedy, the flippant lines, the weird and random happenings his work would lack plot. But I think that is Adams point. His point is that the Universe does not make sense without the weird, wonderful and completely weird things happening.

I'm not sure I agree with some of his philosophies. More so because they exclude God from the picture or at times even appear to slightly mock religious ideas. I am all for people being irreligious so long as it avoids being 'blasphemous' and stays somewhat respectful because I think that if you don't allow laughs and jokes you allow yourself to become religious rather than faithful. But ideologies aside there are some amazing and brilliant lines in this book that made me laugh out loud on the bus. I'm sure several people gave me odd looks as a result.

Perhaps my favourite moment however came at the start when Arthur Dent asks a synthesiser to make him a cup of tea. To find out what happens you'd have to read the book. Because when it comes to comic sci-fi Douglas Adams was one of the first and best at it.

So I would encourage you to at least give the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a go and then if you don't like it come back and I'll give you a refund of your time. Yes I'll give you a copy of, perhaps, Twilight which I'm sure will nullify all your memories and leave you catatonic. How's that for a bargain?

Disclaimer: I have never read Twilight because I don't wish to end up catatonic.