71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Robopocalypse - Daniel H. Wilson A very solid three stars for exhibiting pace, interesting ideas and powerful action. The problem for me existed in the writing style which did little to really build the characters. I have no doubt however that Steven Spielberg's movie adaptation will be a very good film to watch with the source material at his disposal.

For the most powerful aspect of this book is the central idea of the book. Yes I know the whole robot invasion idea has been done before but I believe you'll find upon examining most texts that nothing is new under the sun. All ideas have been done before. What I find is that the way an author takes those existing ideas and moulds them into something unique is what matters. Had there been fairy tales and epic myths before Lord of the Rings? Yes of course, but Tolkien created a story that was new despite elements having been drawn from pre-existing sources. I'll use another example in Sherlock Holmes. There had been other such method detectives prior to his existence but as a whole his stories are new and exciting.

So again while this may not be a new idea being explored it certainly is a new interesting way of exploring it. And Daniel H. Wilson creates a sort of historical file of the robots v. humans war through observing the different people critical to the fight. The man knows how to keep a rapid pace going too. His action scenes and technological advancements are very cool. Where else can you have exoskeletons, sentient cars and crab tanks with lots of explosions I ask. If you know give me a message because I want to check that book out!

To summarise this book: a great set of ideas let slightly down by execution of writing yet well worth reading if you're into action and sci-fi. otherwise you could sit back, have a drink and wait for the 2013 film. Although if you're like me you might be worrying about how you'll afford to see this, Catching Fire, The Wolverine and the second part of the Hobbit maybe you'll want to give the book a go first. Just to see if it's worth it.