74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad I have to again bring this down to a three star review on the basis of enjoyment. I cannot doubt that this is a book - a novella to be precise - worthy of literary acclaim. However the story personally lost me about halfway through and I found myself floundering through, trying to understand what had happened. It didn't help that Conrad included a highly symbolic piece of narrative right near the end.

This is the story of Marlow, a man who sets off to find the man known as Kurtz. As such he ventures into the African continent, into the heart of darkness. What follows is apparently a mixture of what you could call semi-autobiographical allegory. Semi-autobiographical because it was based upon Conrad's own experiences in Africa. Allegory because the novel falls to using symbolism to explain a message. I didn't work out what the message is so hopefully some tutorials can clear that for me.

Either way at this moment my summary is that this may be raised to four stars if I can begin to understand the story. It is not one you can easily wrap your head around with all it's sudden motion from this place to the next. But is it worth reading? Invariably yes it is. It is superbly written if confusing and I loved the line "your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others." For the strong are only strong when the weak exist. I believe also the truly incredible books can only be seen when around other books or shown in the light of similar perspective. Perhaps I am yet to obtain such perspective. We will see.