73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Last Tycoon - F. Scott Fitzgerald I can only be brief here because of how unmemorable a read this book was. I was honestly disappointed by the quality of prose and story I observed in this novel. Sadly diminished as it was from Fitzgerald's usual quality. However to be fair the story was incomplete due to his untimely death and he may have gone back and edited it later. Still I found it to be rather dry and boring.

It seemed that he attempted to write another moral tale in the vein of The Great Gatsby yet failed to produce a tale anywhere near in power. The prose of Gatsby was lyrical, the narrator superior and the characters elicited enough sentiment for a reader to understand and appreciate the social commentary and warning. The Last Tycoon made a valiant attempt to do this and produced a few philosophical gems of quotations but overall failed. It was no Gatsby.

So I would suggest that you avoid this for its forget-ability. You'll feel you wasted time reading it rather than appreciating it. It was simply too dry and listless to be appreciated unlike Gatsby. And if you're someone who hated Gatsby to begin with you would find this worthless.