74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

About Love and Other Stories - Anton Chekhov, Rosamund Bartlett This collection featured many stories I had previously read last year but those I had not read were refreshing. The difference in translation of the old stories however was both refreshing and disappointing.

While I felt with stories previously read I was reading them afresh the change in meaning was a disappointment at times. While at times things made unclear in previous translations were revealed with more clarity.

On the whole as with any work of Chekhov's worth reading to observe a master short story writer work his craft. He really was a genius regardless of the quality of translation.