74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (Collins Design Wisps) - F Scott Fitzgerald I must confess that I rather enjoy the prose of one certain F.Scott Fitzgerald. Though many critics dislike the shallow nature of The Great Gatsby's characters there is such a poignant lyricism in the words of that novel. The very short novel The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is likewise extremely well written and very clever. Many people will have seen the film I'm sure though I myself was not interested.

What intrigued me so much about Fitzgerald's work here was the fact that he was able to portray in very few words - reading took me about five to ten minutes - how age affects the way various people and organisations view individuals. For instance despite his birth certificate claiming his age as eighteen Benjamin appeared to be fifty and was disallowed entry into Yale/

And that hidden depth is perhaps what I view as Fitzgerald's defining ability with his word manipulation. He writes like a poet while writing prose and at the same time creates novels laced with hidden meaning. His words serve to point out the way society treats other human beings and how self-indulgent individuals are. His observations portray people as they are and how they can be and allow the reader opportunity to reflect on how they personally view other humans. Powerful writing from a master writer.