73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Legend of Sigurd & Gudrún - J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien 3.5 to 4 star book

This was, as a volume, a curious mix of prose and poetry which covers the Norse legends which inspired Tolkien's Middle Earth. In short The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún is Tolkien's version of those myths in poetic form.

I didn't personally find the story of this legend particularly gripping or exciting. However it was astounding to read this from the perspective of observing the sources that fueled Tolkien's own creativity. And having a personal fondness for mythology and in particular Norse mythology I found the setting and characters rather familiar. However those with a tendency towards less academic reads could find that The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún tends to drag at times and is a slow and ponderous read. However I found that despite being at times confusing the poetic element of the narrative made it rather easy to flick through the pages rapidly once I began.

I would say however that compared to other Tolkien works this would be the hardest for the general public to swallow. Its a pure literary mythological read, a work based on the style and ideas of the past Norse epic poetry. However if that appeals to your reading taste buds I encourage you to eat and savor this work.