71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

TimeRiders - Alex Scarrow Having just read the second of this series I believe it is time I retrace my steps and quickly review this fine novel. Of course if you want a more interesting read jump on to the second review.

As far as YA reads go TimeRiders is brilliant. There's a lot of action, a lot of deaths and lots of technology. Not to mention that a few brilliant twists and tension exist in spade-loads throughout the gripping plot.
Of the two I have read there is no doubt the first is superior in terms of plot and wow factor.

Alex Scarrow writes well with intelligence and creativity, not stooping to point out obvious facts through his characters. Rather each character tends to respond as a reader, an every-day man or woman thrust into the circumstances they face, would.

So, on to the intriguing premise and the reason I picked up this novel...

Time travel. If the whole complexity of the idea doesn't intrigue you then I don't know what will. Liam, Maddie and Sal are all plucked from various times in history by a man known simply as Foster. Each of them should and would have died on the Titanic, on a plane or in a fire. Saving them from such disasters, where no bodies would remain, allows for no time contamination as you may have already guessed.

The three young adults were saved for the purpose of fixing the time stream. They've been recruited by an agency that manipulates time travel. Turns out time travel fifty years in the future is illegal because of its reality altering ability. Its their job to prevent the changing of time, which can be detected as reality shifts. Of course they have the aid of a human robot built like Arnold Schwarzenegger to help them and warnings from the mysterious agency...

What I did find interesting is that their base is set on September 10 and 11 2001 in New York. They basically have to live in a time loop that keeps them witnessing the terror of the Twin Tower explosions over and over again. In this instance however the author uses the incident as a backdrop, a setting rather than using it to depict the horrors consistently. Which I appreciate as a reader.

In short if you like time travel concepts then this is a brilliant book to read. It has great characters, action and well everything to make it a perfect page-turner. This is a book you can just sit down and read.