71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Tortall and Other Lands: A Collection of Tales - Tamora Pierce I always find collections of short stories difficult to review (unless Edgar Allen Poe or Anton Chekhov are the writers). In the case of Tortall and Other Lands I found that I really loved the quality of many of the stories and the plot lines that allowed them to conclude nicely. However there were around three stories that I found detracted on the whole from the overall book. It particularly did not help that those stories were right near the very end when a novel should be concluding strongly.

I must applaud the manner in which this collaboration began. With what was in my opinion the more interesting story. It contained depth, warmth, emotional satisfaction and a classic Tortall-style plot. Yet as mentioned the two final stories were in my view too sharp a contrast. They lacked the same stylistic tone of the opening tale and so the strong opinion I had of the novel crashed down around me. If the final two stories featured instead in a separate collection then I believe this would earn a four star review from me.