71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Scrivener’s Moon - Philip Reeve Compared to the original series of Mortal Engines I find the prequels lacking the same character. That is to say the protagonist Fever Crumb is interesting but lacks the same depth of interest as, say, Hester Shaw, Tom Natsworthy and the ever intriguing stalker Shrike.

Scrivener's Moon basically continues the story of Fever Crumb and shows the beginning foundation of the traction cities: cities on wheels. The story begins well and finishes smoothly with an action packed battle sequence and some startling developments but it looses a little pace in the middle. Perhaps its the fact that like many authors Phillip Reeve feels the need to extend his novel to 400 or so pages and hence stretches his plot thinly to cover that extra mileage.

Still Scrivener's Moon is a good read with its strange apocalyptic world and the zany characters that made Mortal Engines so brilliant. Not to mention that Reeve is a creative fellow who comes up with ideas ranging from undead soldiers (stalkers), to animated paper men (all with microchips) and molecular clockwork. Sure it's been classed as a young adult novel but as Shakespear once wrote (no doubt not intending for his words to become cliche) what's in a name? However I must admit the prequel series feels less mature than the original series in both ideas and narration. Despite these flaws it is still a part of a creative world that I very much enjoy visiting.