71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Black: The Birth of Evil - Ted Dekker This simple looking cover and basic title was my introduction to the world of Ted Dekker. I picked it up off the shelf of my school library and brought it along with me on an excursion. Without any idea of the powerful wow factor of this novel I began reading and would not have put the book down had it of been for the fact that the bus had to stop and let us out.

Black is the story of a man caught between two worlds. When he dreams in our everyday world he wakes in another world of fantasy apparently set years in the alternate future. In this alternate world evil exists only in the form of the black forest and the evil bats which lurk there. The citizens of the land have been warned not to venture into the forest and eat from its fruit. Sound familiar? Gradually you become aware that this other world is an allegorical land that mirrors Biblical story.

Now I'm sure some people would think that including Christian themes into a story lessens the impact of the novel. I am sure for some they'd see this as a way for Christians to throw in their own beliefs. The irony of course being that I'm certain those same people don't question the beliefs thrown into novels by other writers. The truth is every writer has a set of beliefs as a part of humanity and those beliefs will impact his writing. In Black the Christian themes are simply more prevalent than in other novels. The same can be seen in the Narnia tales. Yet those who are set against such beliefs or see such beliefs as structurally weakening don't have to worry. Like any good writer Ted Dekker creates a tale that can read two ways. The first is as a solid thriller adventure and the second is as an allegory.

And when I say thriller I mean thriller. These books are loaded with suspense and action and so many interweaving threads. Grand themes such as the conflict between good and evil are explored along with romance, gunfights, fistfights, fantasy adventure, prophesy and a race against the clock. I wrote earlier that The Scarlet Pimpernel is a novel loaded with everything. Here is a novel to rival it. Well almost...

Black is the beginning of one of the strongest series or should I say trilogies that I have read. The storyline is edgy, tense and not at all soft. Some may find the first book starts slow or that the beginning is too unbelievable however I did not find this to be the case. This is a solid, hard hitting read that reads almost like a film. Okay so maybe I'm a little melodramatic but hopefully you get the point.

Before I end this let me give a brief synopsis of the brilliant idea that is the novel: 'Black'. Thomas Hunter is a man who's lived his whole life on the edge and as afore mentioned finds himself living on a different edge after a bullet clips his head. Basically he ends up caught between two worlds - when he sleeps in one he wakes in the other. And as a result of this new ability the normal world becomes under threat of a new supervirus which Thomas must act to stop. All of this becomes a hunt for a cure against the clock and across multiple worlds. Incredibly fascinating stuff really...