73 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Predator's Gold - Philip Reeve It seemed at the end of Mortal Engines that it was the end. Yet in spectacular fashion Philip Reeve reignites his world of city-eating cities and reanimated corpses to truly begin what concludes as a uniquely brilliant series.

This is a difficult novel to describe. Like any good sequel it brings back the elements of the first novel, adds in a few new ones, mixes them together, throws in a few twists and turns and ends on a note that makes you believe the series could very satisfyingly end there. Only of course it doesn't.

That for me is the remarkable thing about this quartet of novels. Each can very well stand alone as a single novel and yet they somehow continue on to complete a structured narrative across one series. Remarkably imaginative writing.