74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

A Great Cartoon Does Not A Good Comic Always Make.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise - Gurihiru, Bryan Konietzko, Michael Dante DiMartino, Gene Luen Yang, Dave Marshall

I am a huge fan of the cartoon show Avatar The Last Airbender: The Legend of Aang. I am also somewhat of a fan of the follow up show, The Legend of Korra mainly because I believe they follow different paths, with the first show focusing on character development and the second on unlocking the world of the first in a new way. So, when I heard about the comics being written to fill in the gaps between the two shows I did two things. I reborrowed the first Book of the cartoon series so I could force my younger siblings to watch it with me (they're loving it) and I decided I had to borrow this comic adaptation.

The premise of the cartoon is solid enough and generally follows the tone of the show. You have Aang as the Avatar struggling to work out how he is best meant to help the world enter into balance, while also staying true to his friendships. The inner turmoil of Aang as the Avatar was nice therefore, while on the otherside the inner turmoil of Zucco was also as satisfying in bringing the events of the television series to a nice little conclusion.

What, therefore, was my main issue? The characterisation which seemed a little off or perhaps more forced. The artwork was beautiful, the story was solid and had its touches, but the characters were not quite the characters I knew from the original television series. Which perhaps shows how a particular voice actor can so help define a role as well as the pure scripting...

But I will say this: fans of the television series should read this, for it will provide some nice insights into the world of the cartoon show. And it is the little touches that I appreciated the most in this, I just didn't quite see the same level of depth that I admire in the television series...