74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Favourite Series

I wrote in another post, one lost behind a review and so on, that I would create a post about my favourite book series. This means series which currently have three or more books (at least a trilogy) and in which I have read all current books and so here are my top ten favourite series.

10. The Riyria Revelations

This series, originally self-published, makes the most of moving to traditional market. It's not revolutionary fantasy, but it goes to show that being solid in your writing and plotting makes up for any revolutionary ideas and the characters are wonderfully made.

9. The Dark Is Rising Sequence

"When the Dark comes rising Six will turn it back." These words fascinated me as a child as I fell in love with Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence which takes fantasy and Arthurian legend and blends it into the modern world with other Celtic style myths.

8. The Hunger Games

It's big and more popular than ever as a series, but when I read The Hunger Games it wasn't as big as it is now. Some dislike the sequels but I prefer them with their deepening socio-political themes and character development.

7. Ranger's Apprentice

The Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan is a little less known than some children's series and it just recently finished with a 12th and final book. It is a solid series that works because of the characters and little subtle touches. The humour and action are wonderful and I recommend these books to many young readers and the young at heart.

6. The Chronicles of Narnia

Ah, yes, how could I ever forget the first books I ever read? While I've cooled towards them in more recent years my favourite is still The Silver Chair and I love the magic, mystery and ideas found within the entire series.

5. The Wardstone Chronicles

Again, a lesser known children's series, The Wardstone Chronicles begins with The Spook's Apprentice or Revenge of the Witch (depending on where you live). This is a series following Tom, seventh son of a seventh son, born to defeat the Dark as the apprentice of an aging, yet formidable Spook.

4. The Heroes of Olympus

I honestly prefer Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus to the original Percy Jackson series, which is why I replace Percy Jackson and the Olympians with this series. It is bigger and bolder, with more characters, viewpoints and a sense of expanded mythology and themes for younger readers. Of course the teen drama can get a little tiresome, but the action and thrill of reading these books makes up for it.

3. Chaos Walking

Another one of these forgotten young adult trilogies, Chaos Walking begins with The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness and is one of the more unique books I have had the pleasure of reading. It is a sci-fi with some fantastical elements in it and follows a world where there appear to be only men in this one town and ever man has this constant Noise which surrounds him, Noise coming from his thoughts. It's about to become a film in the next few years so I look forward to seeing how they adapt it.

2. Wheel of Time

The Wheel of Time is a long, sprawling series that defines modern epic fantasy. However the payoff from reading it is great I think. Particularly if you are a fantasy fan, if you are not you might not like the novels. It has interesting magic systems, some great characters and a mix of other wondrous fantasy ideas. Steven Erikson looks to be the only writer to equal or top the series in terms of fantasy...

1. Mistborn

Mistborn is one of those series that blew me away with how unique it is. I don't think it's Sanderson's best. He writes more subtly in his later books and The Way of Kings is a new personal favourite, but it is the best series he has (the other series are still being completed). The whole magic system is trademark Sanderson and I love the feistyness of the main female character Vin.