74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

You Cannot Live By The 'Maybes' Of Life

Here's a piece of humour linked to some events going on in Australia: http://www.theskewer.com.au/2014/01/shark-cull/

Some of you may have heard through some kind of rumour, of the decision of the Western Australian government to start systematically killing sharks that entered certain areas along the coast of West Australia. The aim to of course prevent human deaths. Of course, I feel, as do many people, that this act is essentially wrong. Hence why I find the above article clever in its pointed way.

The fact is that sharks live in areas that we like to swim in. It seems illogical to kill sharks just because they live in areas we want to go and use. There are many, many types of things which can kill people and yet we don't systematically start killing them because they can.

Now, don't get me wrong. If a shark kills an individual I do then believe it is legitimate to hunt down and kill that shark. When such predatory animals get a taste for human flesh it can often lead to them killing again when the scent of blood becomes available. Apparently the levels of water in our bodies make us highly nutritious and delicious. However, culling sharks which may only potentially kill someone is wrong in my eyes.

It's the same kind of logic we could use to justify so many horrific things. Like sterilising any man or woman born in a family line which has a genetic defect, just because they could pass that defect on. I can think of other even more gruesome actions also but I won't mention them here.

You see the issue here, as with anything I take a particular interest in, is that there is a deeper underlying issue connected to this. And that is essentially fear - or more specifically the fear of potential possibilities. The Western Australian government is afraid that sharks have the potential to kill humans swimming in those habitats. But living out of the 'maybes' of life is no way to live, whatsoever. And creating laws based around what could be, rather than what is, is no may to govern in a democratic society.