74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Reading progress update: I've read 300 out of 450 pages.

S. - Doug Dorst, J.J. Abrams

So, I thought I would make a comment quickly about what has been so fascinating for me in this book so far. So here are the key themes I've noted to this point and which I will expand upon later.

1. Chronological time and the ability of precognition: this exists in the non-linear notes and the comments within the actual novel about future events. The way in which the story does this teases the reader nicely, hinting that you should want to keep reading for the next little section.

2. Love and flirtation: there is a comparison between the two ideas. They both fascinate me as most people understand the two concepts and most of us here would also see how words and love connect together alongside flirtation. The footnotes and the side comments all flirt with the reader in that teasing way.

3. Mystery and fantasy (in fact a mixture of genres) exist together in the plot and the myriad of details

4. Fiction versus reality, us versus them. The comparisons and 'versus' scenarios are plentiful in this book, alongside ideas of how history defines and affects both fiction and reality and how mystery and fantasy connects into the two. It's a rather post-modern idea.

5. Finally I must mention that identity is probably the strongest theme in the book. Who we are now is different from who we have been or who we will be.

I should have this finished in the next few days. Distractions or busy schedules aside.