71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Frankenstein

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley Note: If anyone has a sad and lonely copy of Frankenstein floating around that looks like the picture above it's probably mine. I misplaced it and really would like to read it again...

I devoted my heart and soul to this novel last year in much the same way that Victor Frankenstein devoted his life to creation and destruction. I now finally come back to writing a brilliant review and discussing the intricacies of this construct that is Frankenstein. My previous review of course lacking the necessary depth and diligence of perusal.

This is a hard review for me to write. How can I channel the raw elemental and emotional beauty of such a book with my own flighty and often flippant words? How can I tame such a monster and convey to anyone else how powerful and vibrant this novel is? How much depth this contains for a book written by a nineteen year old is really astounding so to do such a thing would be like to magic.

I could write about the tormented creation of the book. I could mention the psychologically damaged scientist and his obsession with forbidden knowledge. I could refer of course to Freud and Jung. I might even delve into the texts hinted at within this work: such as The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Paradise Lost. However I won't because to do such would be to spoil such discoveries for the reader who desires to read this book after viewing this review.

No instead I'll explain what I think is the most powerful aspect of this book. Apart from the overall legend it is an idea representative of what the book is about. Frankenstein for me is a tale of a man messing with powers greater than he can handle. It is an idea that men should not mess with forbidden knowledge, nor try and draw life from death. I think for me personally that the element of attempting to draw life from its incongruous opposite was powerful. You cannot create life where there is none and you cannot bring it forth from death. To attempt such was beyond the protagonist and resulted in his personal torment. It could also be debated that the 'protagonist' was more of the villain in this story.

It is both a philosophical book full of cautions, a book that is in many ways prescient. And it is that eternal element. The fact that it still can be applied to today which makes it a classic. Like Dracula this is a gothic horror story that has had philosophical and psychological tags attached. However it is greater than any of the surrounding tales and stories. It is a beautiful work of art that deserves the title of classic and should be read by all readers.

Even after a year of studying this text I love this book as much as I did the first time I read it. In fact I believe the perspective of studying it has made me appreciate it more. It is truly a book that I love. A book that represents my final year of education in many various ways.