74 Readers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Avengers: X-Sanction

Avengers: X-Sanction - Ed McGuinness, Jeph Loeb
As a time killer with some interestingly glossy artwork this was a passable graphic novel. However the initial verdict is that it's not a story recommended for those looking for the most literate of graphic novels.

I do believe that genre novels get an unfair wrap when it comes to ratings and literary criticism. Much as how superhero films until recently often received unfair criticism from the film reviewers for not being intelligent enough. And yes, there are a fair few sci-fi, fantasy and graphic, novels which are merely unintelligent escapism. But there are also novels which contain deep ideas and designs.

Unfortunately this is not one of those deep novels and therefore must really only be recommended for those who want a superhero fix (as I have recently been craving). The plot is an excuse to show as much action as possible (in full glossy artwork - which I appreciate) with Cable attacking and trying to exterminate The Avengers. That said unless you're a die hard comic book or graphic novel enthusiast I'd recommend trying something with a touch more depth. Perhaps [b:Batman: Hush|6375845|Batman Hush|Jeph Loeb|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342295000s/6375845.jpg|16256422] from the same author?