74 Readers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Temple

Temple - Matthew Reilly
I really respect Matthew Reilly from what I know about him through his books. He seems a likeable, intelligent person. I've also quite enjoyed his action novels. For thriller novels they're not your standard run-of-the-mill novel. They focus around one interesting and unique idea. I'll admit that the characters are often not overly free of cliché, but that said if you ever want to read something fast, fun and that reads like the explosive action of a blockbuster film then Reilly's your Australian.

In Temple I learned facts about Black Caimans*, read about mysterious pseudo-scientific ideas that while fake still sounded realistic enough, learnt about the power that grappling hooks can be as weapons and read about lots and lots of body counts. I think about one hundred people at minimum died (there may have been more...).

Temple, uniquely of all of Reilly's books that I've read, has a split narrative. One part of the action is set in the present and the other takes place in the past. Which was a slight meta-linguistic element to appease me as I was reading purely for the thrill and the fun of it. Oh now I've lost my train of thought...

Ultimately, a quick and fast paced 680 pages worth of story that went by quickly. In some ways there was too much story, in other ways the plotting wasn't Reilly's best but the ideas were interesting. Definitely worth reading if you are into thriller novels and unique action concepts.

*Apparently they may be larger than Saltwater Crocodiles (or at least similar in size) so that's 1 ton worth of crocodilian and seven metres length worth on average (Saltwaters can grow to 9 metres though so...)