71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Practice Makes Practice: A Critical Study of Learning to Teach, Revised Edition

Practice Makes Practice: A Critical Study of Learning to Teach (Suny Series, Teacher Empowerment and School Reform) - Deborah P. Britzman This is an interesting work aimed at examining pedagogy critically. Pedagogy is the science of teaching as I have been forced to understand rapidly. Deborah Britzman in this work explores the idea that teaching affects and moulds those who become teachers, she examines individual student teacher stories and identities and she examines the act of teaching itself.

I read this book because it was recommended as a work all student teachers should read before they finish their course. I can certainly see why this is the case. Britzman may write in a highly theoretical manner but her ideas certainly have application for the classroom. How can teachers truly teach (a task which as I have come to see is certainly not merely linear in nature) unless they understand themselves, the role teachers must fulfil and the role of teaching?

I would certainly recommend this work as a study for anyone studying teaching like myself or engaged in teaching individuals. It certainly provides a different look at teaching and provides to anyone interested a better understanding of what teachers and teaching exist for. That said this is a highly academic piece of writing and as such may not be for everyone. It contains less jargon than some works of academia that I have read yet if you lack any previous knowledge of pedagogy it may prove a frustrating read. That is my simple warning to anyone purely interested in looking at a book on teaching.