74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Thirty Nine Steps

The Thirty Nine Steps - John Buchan The thirty nine steps has a remarkably unbelievable plot with a lot of deus ex machina. And yet the book is a classic because despite all the unbelievable elements it succeeds. Some critical readers may miss the brilliance of this novel due to their pedantic and uppish views. Such brilliance is that it successfully with few words creates a narrative that serves the purpose of any good novel. And that is to engage the reader with a story, no matter how unbelievable. Who cares how believable the story is so long as one is engaged in another world? That is what this tale does engages the reader and allows them entry into another world.