71 Readers
103 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Amazon Adventure - Willard Price
For anyone whose noticed I've been in a state of semi-boredom where to pass time I've gone back and reviewed some favourite books read a while back. So I thought I'd do the same here. This is going to be my review of the series more than anything else!

Willard Price's books were childhood favourites of mine. I borrowed, re-borrowed and re-re-borrowed them from the library. I believe I may have read these as many times as I read and re-read [b:The Chronicles of Narnia|11127|The Chronicles of Narnia|C.S. Lewis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348864262s/11127.jpg|781271] and the [b:My Family and Other Animals|48132|My Family and Other Animals (Corfu Trilogy, #1)|Gerald Durrell|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327885239s/48132.jpg|76682] novels. My family has always had an interest in animals (we used to get sent these really awesome 'fact-files' about animals living and extinct because we had a subscription and I always waited anxiously for them to learn about some new type of animal - whether it was the Orca, the Deinonychus or some kind of avian since birds have always been favourites of mine*). These books fostered two things in me, combining my love of nature and biological design with my love of the action adventure novel. I learnt many things about animals from this series (some of which have no doubt been disproved in more recent times) and I loved the adventures the Hunt brothers got up to.

I certainly will recommend these to future children I know whether they're mine or simply children I'm mentoring. I intend to let them know about the fun they can discover in books and also the educational value of learning about the environment. As part of my childhood these were well worth it and wasn't it nice to know that I was reading good valuable books rather than books that I forgot?

*I have a few favoured non-fiction books at home and one is a beautifully painted book about the Australian Birds by Peter Slater. The other is a history encyclopaedia of the world. Unfortunately both have minor water damage from a storm but that's a different issue...