74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
I have enjoyed Terry Pratchett on his own. I have enjoyed Neil Gaiman writing on his own. But the two of them writing this book together didn't quite work for me personally. I can understand why many other people have loved this book yet there was something not quite likeable about it for me. And no it wasn't the subject matter but rather the writing style adopted and the novel's plot.

This book is somewhat similar to, and somewhat different to the quirky style of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but personally not quite so well composed. There were moments I laughed certainly and there were moments I allowed myself a wry smile but the book on the whole ambled off on far too many tangents to create an overall settled plot. I could almost see the book fighting an invisible narrative wanting for it to go off on another direction and hence the friction of two witty authors working together was visible to me.

The plot follows two spirits, an angel and a demon, as they set off to help kick-start the apocalypse. An apocalypse prophesied years ago by the mad witch Agnes Nutter. It turns out that the angel and demon were also there at the beginning of the world and have been 'friends' on the opposing sides for millennia.

Despite my beliefs I had no problem with the premise as this is a fictional work and not intended to be serious and while I believe in an end of the world I don't necessarily agree with the whole Hollywood apocalypse. Occasionally the two authors prove a little irreverent but that said there was a difference I felt between their poking fun at ideas and openly mocking them. Mocking in my books is never acceptable. A little tongue in cheek humour always is. It depends on how people personally draw the line and I think it's up to the individual making a joke to try not to offend if possible. However you should not be worried about having a laugh about something truly funny for the sake of political correctness.

In the end this was a convoluted book much like this review and I thought it was okay but personally I needed to read a version of this with more definition to it. It felt like it was going off on tangents for laughs and then finished weakly with an ending which while it was humorous and made sense in the book's logic it was also rather unsatisfactory. Still I recommend others do try to read this book as I know many other people who have loved it.