74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon, John Cassaday I believe any fan of the Astonishing X-Men line of comics will enjoy this colourful omibus regardless as to whether or not you've read any individual stories. The plot is on the whole typical X-Men brilliance with sacrifices, psychic twists, mixed agendas and a threat to the world.

There are many familiar faces in this book as well as a few new faces. Fans will appreciate Emma Frost, Cyclops, Wolverine (no X-Men comic can go without Wolverine), Kitty Pryde, Colossus and even an appearance from Professor X. And the artwork, which was lush and vibrant, really helped characterise them and bring them to life.

Of course this wasn't the perfect graphic novel selection. There were a few moments where the book either seemed to go off on a tangent. And there were moments where it would wander into the real of Deus Ex Machina and I would go: Oh okay...yeah, no...as if!

Still the talents of Joss Whedon's writing are fully displayed for all to see. And for those with no idea who he is - shame on you, I'll have to unleash some of Stephen's lightning down upon you. He's only the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly and the director/writer of the upcoming Avengers film. And his full creative prowess here introduces new characters, writes the old characters lovingly and provides a brilliant few closing lines.

I would say that this is one of the better X-Men storylines I've read. I'd already read the 'Dangerous' arc (which ties into everything else) but yet was impressed by how I could enjoy that stand alone and yet it linked back into a far more grand and sweeping plot.

If you enjoy your X-Men graphic novels with some colour and interesting stories read this. If you're interested in checking out the X-Men read this (it does start with an 'all you need to know'). If you're interested read this. In short just read this.