74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Red: The Heroic Rescue - Ted Dekker As good as his first in the series is Red pushes the envelope to another level. There's more action, more suspense and the clock winds down ever closer before the global pandemic destroys most of the world.

Whereas the first book covers the fall of man in allegorical fashion the second novel focuses on the redemption of man. After the fall of man a sickness descended upon the dream world which can only be cured by ritual washing in special water created by Elyon. Thomas is a leader of those who chose to remain under Elyon's blessing and wash in the waters and he leads a group of soldiers who fight against those cursed with the sickness - the Horde. In our world Thomas fights against an assassin to rescue the one woman capable of synthesising a vaccine for the airborne virus threatening humankind. Political intrigue is created in this story as the nations discuss how to deal with this terrorism scare.

The most interesting facet of all books to me is what conflict is formed. Here in Red romantic, political, mental and physical conflict exists in abundance and help carry the story to another level than in Black. Dekker's subtitle for Red is the heroic rescue, however I believe it could easily also be the renewing. For this book is not just focussed on the renewal of humanity but is a renewal of the story begun in Black.