74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

The Heroes and the Villains

I'm in the process of moving those important creative works and essays I have on GR to here. I feel a blog better suits them.

Date originally composed: May 6th 2013

So, here's a thought I've been having recently and I'm going to try and express it in a loose essay form.

Where is the line between the connection between the hero and the villain? Does the existence of the hero create the villains or is it the existence of the villain which creates the heroes? If we look at Batman, Superman and Sherlock Holmes as examples, one could argue that the existence of the hero created the need for there to be a villain to oppose them.

In the case of Batman: The Joker, The Riddler, Mr Freeze, The Penguin and all other villains arose after he donned the cowl. Some might say because he donned the cowl. In the case of Superman, Lex Luthor came after Superman became the protector of Metropolis. With Sherlock Holmes, because of the detective's existence an archvillain arose in the form of Moriarty. If we look at mythology or religion in most cases an evil deity came to exist because of the 'good gods'. In the Biblical case, Satan came to exist because of God you could say. But those, you might say are fictional or irrelevant examples. If we look at a real life example one could perhaps say that the U.S.S.R became a villainous threat to the world because of the rise of the USA. In similar ways one could see that WW2 was caused by unresolved issues of WW1.

So, does that mean that heroes cause villains? Or is there something else to consider here? I would suggest the later. Fiction-ally all those heroes arose to fight against crime already in society, realistically those historical events and the rise of the 'hero' nations happened because of evil already happening. Yet in their existence it seems that perhaps instead a new form of evil arose to combat the good, much as how when anti-viruses are created, new. Perhaps it would be best to conclude that in some way, evil or villainy, is perhaps an organised organic entity. That as good arises to fight it, it adopts new forms and channels itself through new villains.