So, in recent times there are several things I realised I like most in novels.
5. Unique ideas - something that's a little different from any other book
4. Worldbuilding - I like a setting in which the characters and plot feel grounded in a world of novel based logic and in which events make sense based on that world's rules
3. Tight plotting - I don't like very loose stories in which it feels the author did little planning at all.
2. Tone - I like the tone for a book to be consistent with it's storytelling aims
1. Nuanced characters - not characters which are in your face, developed characters
So what things do you particularly like in a novel?