74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

My 10 Best Books Read In 2013

I am only including novels (not plays or works of poetry) in my list. Therefore The Iliad and The Odyssey are excluded by default.

10. The Rithmatist: I always enjoy Brandon Sanderson's work and his quality of writing has continued to improve. The Rithmatist was a fine YA novel and one definitely among the finest in its class!

9. Steelheart: This was a book that was pure fun and lighthearted and I enjoyed it more than many other books I read all year

8. Don Quixote: A comedic great of fiction and a large novel also, Don Quixote deserves a spot on top 10 lists of all kinds. However I did not enjoy it like some of the other novels...

7. The Alexandria Quartet: Beautifully, perfectly eloquently written. One of the finest of all the prose styles I have encountered in the past two years.

6. The Bone Season: Again, more enjoyable than being the finest written book I read this year. A very promising fantasy novel which avoids most of the fantasy clichés, has strong characters, magic and an interesting world. One to look out for...

5. The King of Elfland's Daughter: Lord Dunsany has turned out to be one of the few prose stylists who can match Mervyn Peake or G.K. Chesterton in terms of elegance (though each writes differently) and The King of Elfland's Daughter is a magical novel.

4. American Gods: Certainly one of Neil Gaiman's best works but it's not his best in my opinion... But definitely a novel that has importance as well as being clever, thoughtful and interesting.

3. Crime and Punishment: One of the all-time greats. I feel that this work of fiction holds its place on a list of top 10 books ever written.

2. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay: It is interesting that a book written within the past 14 years can hold a position of interest higher than two of the all-time greatest novels. Yet this is a wonderfully written, thoughtful and fascinating work of fiction that I feel could become an all-time great if given time...

1. Ulysses: This is a work that vies spots on the top ten books of all time and hardest to read books of all time lists. In my eyes there are few things like it aside from The Lord of the Rings in terms of its importance and epic sprawling nature. Definitely the best book I read this year for many reasons...