74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

One Of My Least Favourite Things...

If there is one thing I particularly dislike it is a mocking individual. Now I'm not talking about someone who makes a snarky comment or sarcastic joke from time to time (I admit to being one of those people). I'm referring to the snide cynics who have nothing better to do than to mock and ridicule anyone who differs from their beliefs about the world.

There are two main reason I have come to dislike this so much:

A) Often these people seem to talk about being 'open minded' at the same time. To me mocking someone else in any way is not open minded. That is closing your mind to the opportunity to explain to someone else why you believe they're wrong. That is taking the authoritative standpoint of 'I am right, you're wrong - in fact you're so wrong that no one would ever believe you could be right!'

B) Now, of course the above point is a generalisation. However, this links into the second and major reason I dislike mocking. It's belittling. Again it is a statement of supremacy that 'I am better than you' or at least that 'your views do not deserve consideration'. To me this is something that is plain wrong, because I do believe that differing points of view deserve consideration to some degree. Whether you personally choose to believe those points of view is another matter: but to dismiss offhand a viewpoint before hearing an individual's views is plain wrong and in the issue of a proper debate would equate to you losing before you have begun.

My main point therefore is this: listen to people, learn about different views and ideas. And most of all discuss. In book terms: if someone happens to like Twilight don't just mock that there are '10,000,000 better love stories' out there. Listen to why they like Twilight and explain that you believe there are better love stories and what you could recommend. You see, you might have the right opinion but it is all a matter of manner. Any manner that instantly dismisses another person in my eyes is wrong because all people deserve respect to some degree.