74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

I Have No Choice

It is the ultimate claim of surrender: I have no choice. However I want to take a look at this claim for a moment and explain that I believe such a notion is incredibly false. Yet first I would like to take a look at another statement made to me earlier in the week.

This statement was the following 'Never accept excuses. Excuses are for the weak.' It was directed at me after I tried to explain why certain tasks had not been fully completed, rather than as a pure excuse. Yet, I realised that I disagreed with this statement from the get-go. Why? That was the question I tossed over in my mind until I realised that I had an issue with the word 'never' (not to mention that the individual making the statement has used excuses in the past themselves).

Never, in this context is a word I disagree with. It is a closed word, a word that does not allow any contradiction or any small amount of leeway. It is, in other words, a concept not linked to mercy but to justice and that is why I dislike the term. My personality aligns far greater with mercy than justice for a beginning, yet I also feel that in a modern world you cannot be so closed as to say that there are no exceptions. In general I agree that constant excuses and an attitude of excusing everything is a weak mentality. However, to state that excuses are always a problem, is a problem to me.

This ties into the idea of 'I'm sorry I have no choice.' I want to debate this concept because again it is a closed concept. There is no room for exception and to me it denies a basic principle of reality: 'you always have a choice.' Some people may disagree with me. 'What about biology' they may ask, 'you cannot choose your genetic code.' And that is absolutely correct. However, you can make choices connected to your genes. If you were born with a disease then you'd make choices in relation to that disease (diet, exercise routine, doctors to visit etc.). If you were born with a particular ability or talent then you would make choices in regards to that talent (do you exercise it or ignore it?).

So forgive me, but when someone states that they 'have no choice' I view it as a cop-out. You always have a choice, merely that the other choices in such a circumstance do not or would not appeal to you as much. I suppose that what I am stating is that it is important to recognise when such statements as 'never' or 'no' are false and to take the onus upon yourself. Because too often in society we like to pass the blame onto others - which coincidentally does tie into the concept of excuses. Therefore I can conclude that it is an error to both state something as a finality or to pass the blame onto others, we must attempt to find greater shares in middle ground.