74 Readers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

Thoughts and Questions

Confusing Contradiction here:

I've been thinking about an issue right. One that seems to be another contradiction of modern society.

In the past, socially, and even today, it's been considered somewhat acceptable for a man to marry a younger woman (or for her to be his partner). That's assuming that it's not like a 50 year age gap and that that woman is not a minor of course. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've noticed it tends to be more acceptable for the man in a relationship to be older, but not the woman. Can someone help explain to me why this might be the case?

Let's talk about film for a moment.

Today I went and saw How to Train Your Dragon Two which was really quite good. I wanted to use one paragraph here to talk about different types of film styles and the second paragraph to talk about some new film news. Firstly then, let me say that I really, really enjoyed HTTYD2 as much as the first one. It did what all good sequel films should. But, for whatever reason, animated movies are often not considered to be 'proper films'. I mean, when was the last time you saw an animated film nominated for best picture or even win? It's because that animated films, like foreign films are not considered proper films necessarily. And yet, my favourite movie seen this year has been the animated The Lego Movie.

This kind of issue also applies to literature in how graphic novels are considered by some snobs to 'not be literature'. But when we categorise things like that, we're only cutting off some great options. Speaking of graphic novels brings me - conveniently - to my next point. I heard tonight that Jason Momoa has been cast as Aquaman for the Superman v. Batman film. Which adds up to a whole lot of extra Justice League characters who have been cast for the film. I find it interesting to think about, because basically DC are doing a reverse to Marvel - they're making films with several characters in them before making the stand-alone films. Marvel made stand-alones to introduce the characters to new audiences and excite us about the planned, shared-world Marvel Universe so I'm interested to see how DC's 'everyone hasn't been introduced but they are in this universe' thing works out.

Friendship

And finally, I wanted to ask whether anyone else is nostalgic like I am. It's odd to talk about being nostalgic as a twenty year old, going on twenty one, but I am. Yesterday I had my life group - some great male and female friends around a similar age to myself (or a little older) - over at my house for food and games (and yes I cooked). We normally during the middle of the week have a mix of Bible study and applied talking about life and things we can learn to help with the daily grind, but for then it was just friendship and fun.

Being an extrovert, when I hang out with other people I get energised. I just feel like I belong, that wherever I am, I am home. You know those times? The times where everything just fits into place and it feels like everything is just full of connection and wholeness? Yeah, being with the people in my lifegroup is like that. It's platonic love is what I guess you can ultimately say. But anyway what I wanted to talk about is the fact that when I hang out with all the friends and people I am close to, it just reminds me of the friends who have distanced themselves from me physically (moving states or countries) or more emotionally/spiritually and it causes me to nostalgically reflect on all the times that have been.

But you know what? I don't want to live in the past. Because there are some glorious times coming and I want to experience them too - to experience all that life has (bad times also).