74 Readers
106 Writers
headspinningfromvagueness

Ironic Contradictions

A Reflection

One thing I was thinking about earlier today is how I have changed in the past couple of years. It is part of the course of growing up naturally, yet many of the changes are more mental or emotional/spiritual than purely physical. Oh yes I shot up in height, have bulked up muscularly, developed a deeper voice and all that - but what interests me most is how I have grown more into my natural personality.

Let me explain. I'm an extrovert and my natural personality is to be a bubbly, happy, laughing type of person. However, for many years I was a lot shier than I am today. I became highly nervous whenever I was giving public speeches or doing anything that involved standing up in front of a crowd. More interestingly, I now am far more relaxed about that as I've come to have plenty of practice in my teaching (and also I care a lot less about how people view me).

Another thing that I've come to become is more open minded. I used to think that being open minded was a problem - I worried that being 'open minded' meant accepting every point of view or that there 'are no wrong answers'. However, what I have come to see instead is that I believe 'open minded' means that you can't dismiss any idea without at first considering it. If that makes any sense.

Does anyone else ever think back on how they've changed across their lives?